Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Weekend (not so much) fun

Boy oh boy what a weekend we had here. Gianni and I had big plans to go away, (overnight!), for the first time since having Elliot.  Gianni did all the planning and gave it to me as a Christmas gift. He booked a small home in Vermont; we had plans to go hiking, site seeing, and just relax. Maybe even sleep past 6. Diane was all ready to take on the kids for two nights and we were so excited.

And then Wednesday night happened.

I think every parent knows the sound of their kid puking. It wakes you up and you just know. I heard that God-awful sound and then heard the pitter patter of Gabriella's feet come into our room. And then heard her say, "Mommy there's throw up in my hair".

Ugh. I knew we were screwed but tried to be optimistic and thought to myself, well she's in a great mood so maybe she just coughed or something. Nope, not so lucky. The rest of Wednesday night was spent changing her bed a countless number of times and slowly realizing that our dream weekend was slipping away. And then just to add insult to injury, I got it as well.

The stomach virus she ended up with was just horrible. She was terribly sick, high fever, and just run down. Our pediatrician told us that the strain going around hits out of nowhere and is rough on the little ones. By Saturday she was up and playing again but still exhausted and not eating very well. It wasn't until Monday that she really was acting more like herself and even then was still cranky and tired.

Knock on wood, the boys seem to have avoided it so far! I knew if Gianni got it he'd be okay but I was really worried about Elliot so I'm grateful that he's remained healthy so far. I really hope that the virus has left our house and he can stay healthy!

Speaking of Elliot, it turns out all he needed to figure out crawling and moving was for his big sister to get violently ill.  Out of necessity he had to just hang out in his crib while we cleaned up messes and he figured out over the course of the weekend how to crawl, pull up to stand, and start cruising. This is great and exciting except for of course he's into everything! And when I say everything, I mean everything that isn't Elliot-friendly :) Small toys, outlets, cabinets, etc. It's funny to watch because he'll be slowly moving around and then he'll spy something that he just knows is off limits and he makes a beeline for it, crawling as fast as his chubby self will get there.

As January wraps up, we are one month closer to having a 1 year old, waiting for Sandy's baby to make her arrival (hooray for new cousins!), and anxiously awaiting the spring!




No comments:

Post a Comment