Friday, April 8, 2016

Five on Friday!

Cheers to Friday! After what seemed like an incredibly long and depressing first week of April due to freezing temperatures, snow, sleet, and pouring rain, Gabriella decided to take off walking and nothing else mattered!!

1. Off she goes
Gabriella has been thisclose to walking for months now. She has taken several little steps between furniture and people but never more than 5 and she would usually lunge and collapse into her target. And then yesterday she just got it. It all clicked and now she's off!

2. Homemade play dough
Earlier in the day, before all the excitement of walking started, I decided to make homemade play dough. Nearly every recipe I found was identical, maybe the amounts of each ingredient varying a little. 
2 cups flour
2 Tbsp oil (any oil at all, as long as it's non-toxic! I used vegetable oil) 
1/2 cup of salt
2 Tbsp cream of tartar 
1 1/2 cups boiling water 
Food dye 

Combine all ingredients except for the food dye. Once the dough has cooled, separate and add food dye. That's it! I used gel food dye because that's what we happened to have on hand. The red did dye my hands a bit but once it was fully blended into the dough, it didn't come off onto Gabriella's hands. 

At just under 18 months, play dough is definitely a supervised activity but she loved squishing it and poking holes in it. 

3. 21 day fix
One of my New Year's goals was to do another fitness challenge. Before Christmas I completed the Concept 2 Holiday erg challenge, rowing 100,000 meters between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. I had the 21 day fix workout videos from last year and decided to do it again. The goal of this workout is to do one of the workouts every day for 21 days to kickstart your workout regimen. It's been just over a week and so far, so good! Some days I have to get up at 5 to get it in but I don't mind the early mornings. The workouts are only 30 minutes long so it's easy to schedule in. While rock hard abs would be amazing, but let's be honest, that will never happen, my goal is to feel healthy, and now that I'll be chasing around a toddler this summer, I want to feel confident running after her! 

 4. Coaching
The spring season of crew has started and it has been cold. I have complained about the weather in every single blog post over the past few weeks but I do not like being cold. And being out on the water in freezing temperatures while it is raining is not making me happy! Love coaching but my goodness I am ready for it to warm up. Any of my fellow rowers know that this time of year is the worst!! I coach high school freshman and they have their first race in a couple of weeks so I am really excited to see how they do!
 

5. New highchair search
I am on the search for a new chair for Gabriella. I think that she is ready to start being at the table instead of in her high chair but definitely needs to be strapped in still. If you know of any good (or bad!!) ones, let me know!

Have a great weekend!!
xo,
Mary


 


No comments:

Post a Comment