Friday, September 8, 2017

First day of school

It's too soon.

The same words that came to me on that night nearly 3 years ago came to me today as I walked Gabriella into her first day of preschool. How did these years go by so quickly? Where did they go? Wasn't she just the tiny baby that wore hats that fit on apples?

 I know this is just preschool. It's a couple of days a week for just a few hours. But still, watching her walk into school, hang her back pack on her hook, and follow directions from her teachers and play with her classmates, was so overwhelming. Just a few short years ago we didn't know what she'd be able to do and now here she is, doing more than we ever prayed and hoped for.

Most days now I forget that she was so fragile and had to fight for her life for months. She is very much a sassy "threenager" and our day to day lives don't remind me of those early days. Every so often though she'll hit a milestone, or do something, that will bring me back, take my breath away, and make me thank God for just how blessed we are.

As she grows I hope she knows the strength she has inside of her. As I signed her out at the end of the day, Gabriella said to me, "Mommy I had so much fun. That was good!". I did everything I could to hold back tears and said, yes, this is really good.







No comments:

Post a Comment