Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Stay little

I wasn't ready.

Since the day we brought her home, our nap time and nighttime routine involved me rocking her to sleep. If she was tired, fussy, sad, or upset, I would cradle her across my lap and she would calm down and fall asleep.

And then Thursday July 30 came and she decided she didn't want to be cradled anymore. At all. She gave me no warning, no "heads up, Mom, I'm about to break your heart". She just decided she wasn't a tiny baby needing cradling anymore. 

I know this isn't the end of the world.  She still loves to be cuddled before sleep, with her head on my shoulder and her arms around my neck.  And that feeling is absolutely wonderful.

But still.

I think part of the heartbreak with her not wanting to be cradled anymore is the realization that she is growing up so fast. And part is that she wasn't able to be cradled or rocked when she was born so I loved that she loved it so much now. I know she's still our baby, she's only 15 pounds and still learning to chew, but in that moment last Thursday, I realized that it's so easy to take for granted the little things that make each stage of a baby wonderful.

I asked her today if she was sure she couldn't stay little forever and she grabbed my nose and hair and blew raspberries on my face which I am pretty sure translates to, "No, don't be crazy", so for now I will soak up every cuddle before the next stage begins.

xo,
Mary 

No comments:

Post a Comment