Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Trains, family, and fire trucks!

We could not have had a more Christmas-y weekend if we tried. Except for the unusually warm weather, we had all sorts of Christmas fun. Shopping is done, wrapping is slowly getting "wrapped up" (couldn't resist :)), and compared to last year, this Christmas is already a million times better. I'll write a post later this week about last year and today just focus on this past weekend!

I realized I never blogged about a little part time job I started this fall; I am pretty sure everyone who reads this blog knows that both Gianni and I rowed on the crew team in school. We loved it, our niece rowed as well, and we have stayed in touch with our former coaches. This fall, the head coach contacted me and asked if I was interested in coaching the freshman boys. You all know me; the thought of me coaching 14-15 year old boys made us laugh... I am not loud, can be a pushover, and wasn't sure how it would go. But the varsity coaches believed it would all work out, I took the job, and to my surprise, it was great. I love crew and the group of boys I coached were great kids. The freshman girls coach volunteers at the New England Train Museum in Thomaston and invited us on their annual Christmas train ride with Santa on Friday night. The ride wasn't until 7pm and was 90 minutes long so we weren't sure how Gabriella would do but we decided to go for it and are so happy we did. She was great; she ate cookies, got passed around to everyone, sat on Santa's lap, stole some elf's jingle bells, and slept the whole way home.



On Saturday we went to see our niece in the Nutcracker. She has been dancing for years and every year she is in the show. I was trying to remember and I think the very first year we saw her in the Nutcracker, she was young and had a small role as one of the children in the opening party scene. This year she was Clara and we were so proud of her! She looked beautiful and did such a great job. It was really fun to watch her in that role because not only was she dancing, but she had to act as well. After the show, the cast goes to the lobby for pictures and so many little girls were asking for her autograph. It was adorable!
Sunday we drove to see Sandy, Thierry, and Ben and kicked off Christmas week with a brunch to celebrate my Dad's  birthday. Ben is getting so big (I am pretty sure he and Gabriella weigh almost the same!) and is the cutest baby! He is sitting in his bumbo chair and high chair, rolling everywhere, and has started eating cereal. I was feeding Gabriella her lunch and Ben's mouth was opening up to try and get whatever was on her spoon. I can't wait to have them together on Christmas!


We stretched the weekend out by taking a trip to see great- Nana (or Super-Nana as she's called by our cousins!!) on Monday. It was a quick trip for lunch because we drove during Gabriella's naps but it was so nice to see her. Gabriella crawled all over and had a wonderful time. We were able to catch up and visit with Nana and one of my aunts and had a great day.







And finally, Gianni joined our town's volunteer fire department! He had fire training in the Navy and has been looking to get involved with volunteer work over the past couple of years. Because it's a volunteer company, you go to calls when you are able and attend trainings on Monday evenings. He'll attend a weekend fire school in 2016 to become an official firefighter but for now can go to all calls and help as directed. We brought Gabriella to see the trucks and she was very intrigued!
Happy Christmas week!!

xo,
Mary




No comments:

Post a Comment